注册 登录
滑铁卢中文论坛 返回首页

风萧萧的个人空间 http://www.shuicheng.ca/bbs/?61910 [收藏] [复制] [分享] [RSS]

日志

Homeless squatters face eviction after taking over oligarch's London mansion

已有 336 次阅读2017-1-28 20:09 |个人分类:英国

Anal anarchist squatters face eviction after taking over Russian oligarch's swanky £15million London mansion

The Autonomous Nation of Anarchist Libertarians want to turn the luxurious empty property in Belgravia into a homeless shelter but the courts are set to intervene.

BYCAITLIN MORRISON 18:39, 28 JAN 2017
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/anal-anarchist-squatters-face-eviction-9712579

The squatters' stay at the mansion about to come to an abrupt halt
The squatters' stay at the mansion about to come to an abrupt halt

Squatters who have taken over a £15million mansion owned by Russian oligarch Andrey Goncharenko say they expect to be kicked out after a court hearing on Tuesday.

The Autonomous Nation of Anarchist Libertarians (Anal) has occupied the house in London's upmarket Belgravia since last week, when they entered through an open window.

The squatters want to use the five-storey building in Belgrave Place, which backs onto Eaton Square, as a homeless shelter.

Squatters at the mansion owned by oligarch Andrey Goncharenko
Squatters at the mansion owned by oligarch Andrey Goncharenko 

They claimed up to 10 homeless people have been sleeping in the mansion per night and as well as inviting rough sleepers from the area around nearby Victoria station, the group is working with London homeless charities to spread the word about the makeshift shelter.

Squatter Jed Miller, 25, said the group did not know the property belonged to Goncharenko until they gained access on Tuesday January 25, when they searched for the owner online.

He said: "It's freezing cold out at the moment. This space should be re-appropriated and put back into use.

"I think a lot of people will sympathise with what we are doing. Quite a lot of working class people are only one or two pay cheques away from being homeless themselves."

Police were called to the property, which Anal said had been lying empty, after the squatters moved in, but the occupiers said officers had not been back since.

The oligarch has left the house on Eaton Square empty
The oligarch has left the house on Eaton Square empty 

The squatters said a hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court that was originally set to take place on February 2 has been moved forward and will now take place on January 31.

They believe the date was changed after the building's owner "threw money at the case", and the group expects the court will find in favour of Goncharenko, who owns another three properties in central London.

Squatter Jed Miller in his makeshift bed
Squatter Jed Miller in his makeshift bed 
Another member of the group, called Paul, said it was aiming to highlight the unfairness of houses like Goncharenko's lying empty while people were forced to sleep outside in freezing conditions.

He said: "I would have thought the mayor would say 'if there are buildings lying empty for years we should find people who will open them up'.

"It's a mark on society if we let people sleep on the streets. It's about time we as a people stood up and said we're not going to take it any more.

Russian oligarch Andrey Goncharenko owns the £15million property in Belgravia
Squatters Turn $19M London Home Into Homeless Shelter
The nearly 200-year-old home was bought by a Russian oligarch in 2014
By Michael Harthorne,  Newser Staff
Posted Jan 27, 2017 5:45 PM CST

(NEWSER) – A group of squatters has seized an empty property on one of Britain's "most expensive and exclusive streets" and turned it into a homeless shelter, the Telegraph reports. According to the Guardian, the five-story, $19 million home was purchased by a Russian oligarch in 2014 but is believed to have sat unused since. The Autonomous Nation of Anarchist Libertarians, or ANAL, got into the home through an open window on Monday. They say they're currently housing 25 or so people who had been sleeping on the street. The nearly 200-year-old house features a spiral staircase, polished floors, and multiple "hand-carved" fireplaces. The squatters have added a projector for movie nights, portable cookers, and a shop with free clothes.

A recent count found approximately 4,000 people sleeping on the streets of London. Another count found more than 200,000 homes that have been empty for more than half a year. ANAL calls that an "injustice." The group says it researched the home before moving in, discovering it was purchased by Russian oligarch Andrey Goncharenko, who has bought four fancy houses in London over the past three years. One squatter tells the Telegraph they "figured the damage caused to him compared to the gains for the homeless community is nothing." The squatter says the house could mean the difference between life and death for homeless people during freezing winter weather. The Mirror has photos from inside the home prior to its new life as a homeless shelter.

Some of 41 Comments
  • Naked_Emperor 

it's like they feel they are entitled to it.

Happens quite often even here in the U.S. Some owners are absent for long periods and some off on vacation to return and find their homes occupied. Various laws not intended for this type of theft place the burden on the real owners and in the interim, the squatters get to stay as well as receive free legal representation to continue squatting. I would assume this house in England will be stripped of anything of value before they leave.

I think it's amazing that so many supposed "kids" think it's just fine to break into someone else's property based on who owns it. I imagine this is why the white middle class in the U.S. is being pulverized, having to pay the price for this type of idiocy on a daily basis. It is WRONG. No one gets to decide who can be a criminal and for what reason. They are homeless. I'm sure there are homeless shelters and if the refugees are lounging around in there and using up precious funds..the homeless need to kick their asses out. OUR people come first, that's the problem with the west. White guilt is making paupers and victims out of innocent people just trying to get by and also pay for their OWN people. I say, kick the illegals and Muslims out of your country and put those billions where they belong..with YOUR OWN.

• They can get a job and a mortgage, Or they pay rent, If not kick their lazy asses out and put them in jail,At least they could run call girl service or something. The Russians would be happy to finance them to get e cut.

I was going to side with the squatters, at least temporarily while the city found a better solution, but the Mirror article showed young white men occupying the house. The squatters don't seem to represent the truly homeless population. They played loud music through speakers late into the night. The crowd includes an autistic hacker who is to be extradited to the US for his crimes. This situation smells fishy.

If one owns a $19M home without security they are asking for trouble.
                  At first I was offended by the break in but learning it is owned by a Russian I am pleased.

Property rights have to be respected, so the burglars/squatters should be forced to squat in jail. The house was likely purchased as an investment, given that the owner could potentially sell it at a substantial profit after holding it for 5 years.

I'd like to see the inside, 19 mil.

Somebody may as well get some use out of it. If it meant anything to the owner, he wouldn't have abandoned it for 3 years. Good for ANAL. (Love the name).

路过

雷人

握手

鲜花

鸡蛋

评论 (0 个评论)

facelist

您需要登录后才可以评论 登录 | 注册

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-5-18 08:04 , Processed in 0.025321 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.