注册 登录
滑铁卢中文论坛 返回首页

风萧萧的个人空间 http://www.shuicheng.ca/bbs/?61910 [收藏] [复制] [分享] [RSS]

日志

Why Students Need Chinese Schools 为什么中国学生数学能力完胜美国学生 ... ... ...

已有 360 次阅读2017-9-18 19:00 |个人分类:教育

Why American Students Need Chinese Schools

By Lenora Chu

Why American Students Need Chinese Schools

http://www.cetusnews.com/business/Why-American-Students-Need-Chinese-Schools.r1MgNBeWEe5-.html

After putting her son in an elite state-run school in Shanghai, an American mother finds that the U.S. education system could learn a few things from China—most of all that teacher knows best.

When my little boy was 3, his Chinese teacher forced a bite of fried egg into his mouth. At school. Without permission.

She put it there,” my firstborn told me, lips forming an “O,” finger pointing past his teeth.

Then what happened?” I prodded my son, who despises eggs.

I cried and spit it out,” he said.

And?” I pressed.

She did it again,” he said. In all, Teacher Chen pushed egg into my son’s mouth four times, and the last time, he swallowed.

We are Americans raising a family in Shanghai—China’s megacity of 26 million people—and the Chinese are known to pump out some of the world’s best students. When we realized that a few blocks from our new home was one of the best state-run schools, as far as elite urbanites are concerned, we decided to enroll our son. He would learn the world’s most spoken language. What was not to like?

Plenty, as it turned out. And it was only the first week of kindergarten.

The next day, I marched off to school to confront Teacher Chen about the egg episode, brash in my conviction about individual choice.

We don’t use such methods of force in America,” I blurted in Mandarin, my son clutching my hand. (I was born and raised in America but grew up speaking Chinese at home.)

Oh? How do you do it?” Teacher Chen challenged.

We explain that egg eating is good for them, that the nutrients help build strong bones and teeth and helps with eyesight,” I said, trying to sound authoritative. “We motivate them to choose…we trust them with the decision.”

Does it work?” Teacher Chen challenged.

In truth, no. I’d never been able to get my son to eat eggs. He’s a picky eater. Later, Teacher Chen pulled me aside for a lecture. “In front of the children, you should say, ‘Teacher is right, and Mom will do things the same way,’ OK?”

Many studies support the Chinese way of education.’

I nodded, slightly stunned. It was the voice of Confucius, who had staked his entire philosophy on the concept of top-down authority and bottom-up obedience, giving direction to our lives.

Many studies support the Chinese way of education. Researchers have found that 6-year-old Chinese children trounce their American peers in early math skills, including geometry and logic. In the past decade, Shanghai teens twice took No. 1 in the world on a test called PISA, which assesses problem-solving skills, while American students landed in the middle of the pack.

When young Chinese head abroad, the results are impressive. They are earning more spots at the world’s top universities. The Ivy League enrolls eight times more Chinese undergraduates than a decade ago, according to the Institute of International Education, and the Chinese are helping to launch Silicon Valley startups in disproportionate numbers.

Yet, from my perch in Shanghai, I started out with some major objections to Chinese education. Force-feeding would get a teacher dragged into court in the U.S., the land of infant choice, free-form play and individualized everything. In China, children are also subjected to high-stakes testing at every turn, which keeps them bent over books from toddlerhood on.

I began to wonder: What price do the Chinese pay to produce their “smart” kids? And do we really have something to learn from this rigid, authoritarian form of schooling?

Students at Jinqao Center Primary School in Shanghai.Photo: JOHANNES EISELE/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

For five years now, I’ve parented a child inside China’s school system and interviewed Chinese teachers, parents and students at all stages of education. I’ve discovered that there are indeed some Chinese “secrets” that work and are worth emulating. Most have to do with attitudes about education.

There are real upsides to a mentality of “teacher knows best.” As I worked through my anxieties about submitting to this kind of system, I began to observe that when parents fall in line with teachers, so do their children. This deference gives the teacher near-absolute command of her classroom. My son became so afraid of being late for class, missing school or otherwise disappointing his teacher, that he once raised a stink when I broached the possibility of missing a few school days for a family trip. He was 5.

Having the teacher as an unquestioned authority in the classroom gives students a leg up in subjects such as geometry and computer programming, which are more effectively taught through direct instruction (versus student-led discovery), according to a 2004 study of 112 third- and fourth-graders published in the journal Psychological Science. A 2014 study of more than 13,000 students in the journal Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis found that math-challenged first-graders learned more effectively when teachers demonstrated problem-solving procedures and followed up with repeated practice.

By contrast, Western teachers spend lots of time managing classroom behavior and crushing mini-revolts by students and parents alike. A Chinese teacher who arrived in the U.S. two decades ago recalled to me her surprise the first year she taught American kids. “I started out very controlling, but it didn’t work at all. My students talked back!” says Sheen Zhang, who teaches Mandarin at a Minnesota high school. Parents sometimes complained when she assigned too much homework. A mother once asked her to change the way she talked to her classwork-skipping daughter. “She wanted me to say, ‘You can do better!’ instead of ‘You didn’t finish this!’ ” exclaimed Ms. Zhang.

Chinese society grants teachers a social status on par with doctors.’

The Chinese parent knows that her kid deserves whatever the teacher metes out, no questions asked. In other words, let the teacher do his or her job. As a result, educators in China enjoy an esteem that’s tops in the world: Half of Chinese would encourage their kids to become teachers, while less than a third of Americans and Brits would do the same, according to a 2013 study by the Varkey Foundation. Chinese society grants teachers a social status on par with doctors.

There are also educational advantages to the Chinese insistence on elevating the group over the needs of any individual child. The reason is simple: Classroom goals are better served if everyone charges forward at the same pace. No exceptions, no diversions.

My son suffered from asthma during the winter, but Teacher Chen denied my request to keep his rescue inhaler near the classroom—its use might be a distraction to his classmates. When I loudly protested, I was told I could transfer my son out of the school. In other words, no kid gets special treatment, and if I didn’t like it, I could get out. (Ultimately, I found a solution: a preventive steroid inhaler that I could administer at home.)

The school’s attitude is draconian. But Americans have arguably gone too far in the other direction, elevating the needs of individual students to the detriment of the group. Some parents think nothing of sending an unvaccinated child to school—ignoring community health—or petitioning to move school start times to accommodate sports schedules. Meanwhile, teacher friends tell me that they are spending more time dealing with “problem” students, often through intervention programs that whittle away teachers’ time with the rest of the class. Where should we draw the line?

Another bracing Chinese belief is that hard work trumps innate talent when it comes to academics. Equipped with flashcards and ready to practice, my son’s Chinese language teacher knows that he is capable of learning the 3,500 characters required for literacy. His primary school math teacher gives no child a free pass on triple-digit arithmetic and, in fact, stays after school to help laggards. China’s school system breeds a Chinese-style grit, which delivers the daily message that perseverance—not intelligence or ability—is key to success.

Studies show that this attitude gets kids farther in the classroom. Ethnic Asian youth are higher academic achievers in part because they believe in the connection between effort and achievement, while “white Americans tend to view cognitive abilities as…inborn,” according to a longitudinal study of more than 5,000 students published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in 2014. Chinese kids are used to struggling through difficult content, and they believe that success is within reach of anyone willing to work for it. This attitude gives policy makers in China great latitude when it comes to setting out and enforcing higher standards.

In the U.S., parents have often revolted as policy makers try to push through similar measures. In part, we are afraid that Johnny will feel bad about himself if he can’t make the grade. What if, instead, Johnny’s parents—and his teacher, too—believed that the boy could learn challenging math with enough dedicated effort?

Americans aren’t afraid to push their children when it comes to athletics. Here we believe that hard work and practice pay off, so we accept scores and rankings. Eyes glued to scoreboards at a meet, we embrace numbers as a way to measure progress. A ninth-place finish in the 100-meter dash suggests to us that a plodding Johnny needs to train harder. It doesn’t mean that he’s inferior, nor do we worry much about his self-esteem.

My son has been in the Chinese school system now for five years. During that time, he has morphed into a proper little pupil who faithfully greets his teacher each morning—“Laoshi Zao! Good morning, teacher!”—and has developed an unbending respect for education. In primary school, I watched, a bit dazed, as he prepared his own backpack for school at 6 years old, slotting his English, Chinese and math books into his bag each morning along with six pencils that he sharpened himself.

When his homework books come home—parents in China are required to sign them daily to prove involvement—he brings them to us immediately. He began teaching his younger brother Mandarin, two small heads huddled over a picture book, naming animals. A little older now, he expertly performs timed drills in arithmetic, his pencil traveling down the page, and he gains confidence from his success. He also eats eggs of his own free will.

More Saturday Essays

Why American Students Need Chinese Schools September 8, 2017

The Romance of the American Road Trip September 1, 2017

In Defense of the Dismal Science August 25, 2017

Stop Giving College Athletes Million-Dollar Locker Rooms. Start Paying Them August 18, 2017

The Liberal Crackup August 11, 2017

When I tell the story of my son’s Chinese educational experience to American friends, they gasp. When they spend time with him, they are surprised that he doesn’t cower in the corner or obey commands like a Labrador retriever. My son is imaginative when he draws, and has a great sense of humor and a mean forehand in tennis. None of these qualities has slipped away, and I now share the Chinese belief that even very young kids are capable of developing a range of demanding talents.

I have been paralyzed by anxiety at times over the Chinese way.’

Still, I must confess that I have been paralyzed by anxiety at times over the Chinese way, which demands fealty. Teacher Chen wasn’t just authoritarian; she sometimes delivered very harsh punishments. Once, she isolated my young son and several classmates in an empty classroom and threatened to demote them after they failed to follow in “one-two” step during a physical exercise.

Her power was even more worrisome when coupled with the Communist Party’s political agenda. At 4, my son learned the lyrics to “The East Is Red,” extolling Chairman Mao. The following year, his teachers began running mock elections for class monitor, part of the grooming process to identify star students for eventual Party membership.

At the same time, China’s education landscape is littered with dropouts in a system that perpetuates an underclass: Children who fail to test into regular high schools would populate a city the size of London each year. Because of the high stakes, families sometimes take extreme measures, including cheating and bribery.

And there is no denying that the traditional Chinese classroom discourages the expression of new and original thought. I observed an art class where 28 toddlers were instructed to sketch exactly the same way, with errant drawings tacked to the wall to shame the deviants. “Rain falls from the sky to the ground and comes in little dots,” bellowed the teacher, as the children dutifully populated their pages. In this classroom, rain did not blow sideways or hurtle to the ground in sheets. There was no figurative rain, such as purple rain, nor did it rain tears or frogs, much less cats and dogs.

There are clear downsides to China’s desire to cultivate a nation of obedient patriots, and Americans naturally resist. We harbor a healthy mistrust of authority, and our freedom to raise a fuss is a right we should celebrate. It’s foundational to our national character.

But the skepticism we freely apply to our political leaders can be destructive when transferred to the men and women who stand at the front of our classrooms. Educational progress in the U.S. is hobbled by parental entitlement and by attitudes that detract from learning: We demand privileges for our children that have little to do with education and ask for report-card mercy when they can’t make the grade. As a society, we’re expecting more from our teachers while shouldering less responsibility at home.

From my years living in a very different country, I’ve learned that wonderful things can happen when we give our educators the respect and autonomy they deserve.

Sometimes, it is best when parents—and children—are simply obliged to do as they’re told.

This essay is adapted from Ms. Chu’s “Little Soldiers: An American Boy, a Chinese School, and the Global Race to Achieve,” to be published on Sept. 19 by Harper, an imprint of HarperCollins (which, like The Wall Street Journal, is owned by News Corp).

ABOUT LENORA

Lenora Chu is an American journalist and writer, and author of the upcoming book Little Soldiers, which tells the story of China’s education system through her perspective as a parent and journalist in Shanghai. It will be published by HarperCollins in September 2017  (Hachette in UK/Australia).

She began her journalism career in the United States as a political reporter at daily newspapers in Minnesota, covering the state Capitol and Jesse “The Body” Ventura’s single term as governor. She is a former contributing writer at CNNMoney.com and also wrote a weekly business and tech column for Asianweek. Since relocating to Shanghai in 2010, she has worked as a television correspondent for Thomson Reuters, and a media consultant to universities and the private sector. She also taught at a Chinese public kindergarten for a couple of years.

Her reporting on business, politics, science and culture has appeared in The New York TimesDwell, CNNMoney, Christian Science Monitor, ScienceMetropolis, and on APM’s Marketplace and PRI’s The World, along with other NPR shows. For a radio series on Asian American gambling addiction, she received an AAJA national award for issues reporting. Her experience spans print, radio and television, and she is also a former fill-in announcer for local NPR in Los Angeles.

Lenora is a graduate of Stanford University and Columbia’s Graduate School of Journalism. Born in Philadelphia and raised in Texas, Lenora splits her time between California and Shanghai. She and her husband Rob Schmitz, NPR’s Shanghai correspondent, have two young sons.

Chinese children crush Americans in math thanks to a mindset Americans only display in one place: sports

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-chinese-children-are-better-at-math-than-americans-2017-9

• In international tests, Chinese children consistently outperform Americans.
  • American Lenora Chu enrolled her young son in the Chinese public school system in Shanghai.
  • In her book about the experience, "Little Soldiers," she explores how culture influences this academic achievement gap.
  • It comes down to Chinese people displaying a psychological concept known as a "growth mindset" at school ... while Americans only display this mindset in sports.

For the most part, American children aren't great at math.

But Chinese children tend to be excellent.

Testing half a million students worldwide, the Program for International Student Assessment is one of the most widely cited measurements of global education, and it's consistently found Chinese students at the top of the academic pile ... and Americans much nearer the bottom. Some experts argue that the PISA assessment, like any standardized tests, primarily measures a student's ability to take the test, not their knowledge, but hardly anyone disputes that the American education has some work to do when it comes to math. 

In Lenora Chu's new book "Little Soldiers: An American Boy, a Chinese School, and the Global Race to Achieve," she begins to unearth the cultural differences that lead to this gap — and it's not just about what happens at school.

Chu, a Chinese-American journalist raised by Chinese parents in Texas, moved to Shanghai with her American husband and toddler son in 2009. To immerse their son in the culture, she and her husband chose to enroll him in the Chinese public school system starting in preschool.

The differences she notices in her child's focus and discipline are dramatic, but she also notices cultural differences that influence how Chinese schools are run, and the reason its students test so well. Along with factors such as highly trained teachers and an emphasis on rote memorization before pursuing deeper understanding, the difference comes down to a belief that has begun slowly making its way across the US: Achievement is the result of hard work, not innate ability.

Chu explains this approach comes from "an intrinsic belief that anything is possible with hard work, with chiku, or 'eating bitter.' If there's a goal worth accomplishing, day-to-day life might be absolutely and miserably unpleasant for a spell," she writes. She continues:

"It's a concept that parents tell their children, teachers ingrain in their students, and China's leaders use to motivate their populace toward the goal of modernizing China. The concept reverberates in the classroom; studies show that for kids who score poorly, Chinese teachers believe a lack of effort — rather than of smarts — is to blame. 'There is little difference in the intelligence of my students,' Teacher Mao, a Chinese language teacher at a Shanghai high school, told me, his voice unwavering in his conviction. 'Hard work is the most important thing.'"

Chu cites the research of Stanford psychologist Carol Dweck, author of "Mindset," who is responsible for coining the terms "growth mindset" and "fixed mindset." Chinese students are trained to have a growth mindset: If they aren't doing well, they'll work harder, and they'll be successful. American children tend to be trained to have a fixed mindset about academics: Their abilities are largely predetermined and static. If they aren't doing well, it's because they're not good at it. Oh well.

kids sports soccer practice drillsAmerican kids are taught to work hard on the field — but not in the classroom.SeventyFour/Shutterstock.com

UCLA psychology professor James Stigler, said the American approach is problematic. Chu writes:

"'In America we try to sell this idea that learning is fun and easy, but real learning is actually very difficult," said Stigler. 'It takes suffering and angst, and if you're not willing to go through that you're not going to learn deeply. The downside is these students often give up when something gets hard or when it's no longer fun.'"

Stigler told Chu that because Chinese children are socialized "to put up with suffering and discomfort and all the things that are a really important part of learning," a Chinese teacher presenting students with a difficult problem can encourage them to work through it — and they will. 

However, there's one place Americans display the growth mindset in spades: sports.

"It's all about getting better, getting better, working harder," Stigler told Chu. "In sports, we're okay with competition and struggle."

Plus, Chu writes, Americans are OK with being ranked on the football field or soccer pitch. Stigler told her that coming in ninth in an athletic competition doesn't cause a crisis of conscience for Americans — it just means they need to train harder, better, differently. "But in academics," he said, "you don't want to embarrass somebody by ranking them Number Thirty because 'It's not their fault.' In American academics, 'you either have it or you don't.'"

A growth mindset isn't all that foreign to American children — it just isn't applied in school.

"Little Soldiers" can be pre-ordered via Amazon. For the record, it's excellent and absolutely fascinating.

中国学生数学能力完胜美国学生?外媒找原因

2017年09月09日 13:17 中国新闻网
http://edu.sina.com.cn/l/2017-09-09/doc-ifykuffc4613094.shtml

中新网9月9日电 美国侨报网援引美国知名在线新闻平台Business Insider, 7日一篇题为《中国学生在数学方面完胜美国学生,取胜思维模式只在美竞技中体现》的文章称,中美文化差异,对两国教育乃至学生思维模式有影响,如美国孩子不太擅长数学,中国孩子却表现出色。

文章摘编如下:

大体来看,美国孩子都不擅长数学,但中国的孩子却在这一学科表现出色。

作为全球教育中被广泛引用的测量方法之一,国际学生能力评估计划(PISA)发现,在学术考量当中,中国学生总是名列榜首,然而美国学生却总是“垫底”。

一些专家指出,PISA这些标准化测试主要测量的是学生的应试能力,而不是他们的知识储备。不过,对于美国的数学教育仍需改进这一问题,没有任何人提出异议。

成就的取得来自刻苦还是天赋?

在作家莱诺拉•楚(Lenora Chu,音译)的新书《小小士兵:一个美国男孩,一所中国学校,一场国际赛跑》(“Little Soldiers: An American Boy, a Chinese School, and the Global Race to Achieve”)中,楚逐渐开始寻找这一差距背后的文化差异,并且这些差异不只在学校发生。

楚是一名华裔记者,她从小在得克萨斯长大,于2009年和丈夫带着孩子移居上海。为了让儿子能够融入中国文化,楚和丈夫决定让儿子从幼儿园开始就在上海的公立学校上学。

儿子的专注和自律给楚留下了非常深刻的印象,同时她也注意到,文化差异给中国学校的运营以及学生应试带来了非常多的影响。除了训练有素的教师团 队以及深度理解之前要死记硬背这些因素,还有一种思想上的差异:成就的取得是刻苦的结果,而不是因为天赋,而这种思想也已经开始在整个美国长出萌芽。

楚还引用了斯坦福大学心理学家、《看见成长的自己》(“Mindset”)一书作者卡罗尔•德韦克(Carol Dweck)的研究,她创造了“僵固式思维模式”和“成长式思维模式”的概念。中国学生接受的训练使得他们形成了成长式的思维模式,即,如果他们做得不 好,他们会继续努力,未来就会取得成功。而美国学生接受的教育倾向于让他们认为,自己的学术表现受制于僵固式的思维模式,也就是说:他们的能力大体上是预 先注定的,是不能被改变的。如果他们做不好,那么是因为他们不擅长。

加州大学洛杉矶分校的教授詹姆斯•斯蒂格勒(James Stigler)也表示,美国的方式是存在问题的。

斯蒂格勒告诉楚,因为中国孩子在集体中学到的是“忍耐困难和苦恼,以及其他所有促成学习的重要组成”,用难题考验学生的老师能够激励学生努力解决这个问题,并且他们能够解决。

美国体育竞技的优势所在

不过,在美国,有一个地方能够展示出这种“成长式的思维模式”:体育竞技。

“所有的一切都是为了精益求精,更加刻苦。”斯蒂格勒说,“在体育方面,我们能够抵挡竞争。”

另外,楚在书中还写到,美国人对于足球场或橄榄球场上的排名并不是那么在意。斯蒂格勒告诉楚,在一场运动竞技中排名第九位并不会让美国运动员遭受打击,对他们来说,这只说明他们应该换种方法,更加刻苦地训练,以做得更好。

“不过在学术领域。”斯蒂格勒对楚说,“你不会想要通过把人们排到第九位来驳他们的面子,因为‘这并不是他们的错’。在美国的学术圈,‘你要么有成就要么没有’。”

路过

雷人

握手

鲜花

鸡蛋

评论 (0 个评论)

facelist

您需要登录后才可以评论 登录 | 注册

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-5-7 06:15 , Processed in 0.021959 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.