注册 登录
滑铁卢中文论坛 返回首页

风萧萧的个人空间 http://www.shuicheng.ca/bbs/?61910 [收藏] [复制] [分享] [RSS]

日志

远离学术界 美国大学教授的辞职吐槽 On Leaving Academe

已有 793 次阅读2017-10-30 11:04 |个人分类:教育

远离学术界 一个美国大学教授的辞职吐槽 

BBS 未名空间站 (Sun Oct 29 13:09:48 2017, 美东)
原文来源:cs.unm.edu
原文标题:On Leaving Academia ? Ars Experientia
原文地址:http://cs.unm.edu/~terran/academic_blog/?p=113

http://forums.huaren.us/showtopic.aspx?topicid=2226297&forumpage=1
现在差不多每个人都知道我已经辞去新墨西哥大学(以下简称新墨大)的职位了。从七月开始,我将转投谷歌,前往位于麻省剑桥市的分部工作。

无数人,从我的朋友到我的(前)系主任都问过我,“为什么?为什么要放弃这么完美(有人甚至用了‘清闲’这个词)的终身教授职位,去掺和到那些繁琐的商业生活中去?”

说实在的,这其中的原因相当错综复杂,有的也确实只是出于私人的考虑。但其中也有另外一些,跟新墨大、跟整个新墨西哥州、整个学术界甚至是整个美国的风气有关——关于这几条,我还是不吐不快。辞职这个举动并非一时冲动的后果,而我也想借本文警示各位:以下这些令我对学术界倍感失望的因素,其实同样也在影响着全美其它的教授们。我所担忧的是,如果我们继续无视教职岗位的吸引力消退的话,美国,这个全世界最富创新力的源泉,终将面对令人堪忧的未来。

1、改变世界的机会

本来,我投身科学的最终目标,是希望能为世界做出一点积极的贡献。这一目标并未动摇;但是,由于以下原因中的几条,实现它已经变得越来越难。谷歌作为一个商业组织,确实是一个利用尖端计算机科技切实地推动世界进步的榜样。尽管在谷歌这样的商业巨擘里想要有所建树也并非易事,但在当前的学术风气下,做出点东西的可能性依旧比留在学术界高得多。

2、工作负担与家庭、生活的平衡

这一点早就已经是老生常谈了[1,2,3],我也没必要再赘述什么。我只想说,当教授本身就足以让人心力交瘁了——如果你想要把活干好的话——而拿到终身制后依然要面对的种种情形则更是雪上加霜。这个问题在学术界非常普遍,而新墨大的情况也不会好到哪去。即使是到我辞职离开的时候,学校也依然还没有通过任何一项统一的请假制度,为教职员工因父母职责或是其它家事请假提供相应的便利;更别提如何建立长期稳定的机制和补助方案,帮助教职工们平衡他们的工作和生活了。

3、权威集中,独立消退

我任教新墨大的这些年里,头顶上换过四任校长、三任教务长,还有两任系主任。管理层频繁更迭中的主旋律,始终是权力、资源的进一步集中化,给院系和教职工带来了日渐增长的压力。这一缓慢却显而易见的过程,带来的是对学术独立性或明或暗的伤害,是对教职工关怀的流失,也是工作不确定性的蔓延。另一方面,我(还有很多同事)也感觉,这些攻击破坏了大学本身所承担的教学与科研使命。

4、资金环境

两场同时进行的对外战争打了将近十年之后,美国又遭遇了两代人以内最严重的经济萧条——如今无论是联邦还是州内的财政预算都已经大幅萎缩。更糟糕的是,共和党领导下的恶劣政治氛围[4,5]以及他们刻意造成的国会混乱[6,7]彻底断绝了任何长期、合理的预算规划的可能性。在这样的压力下,我们已经目睹了联邦科学项目资金[8,9,10]连续至少七年的止步不前,以及全国各州立法机构对教育经费的无情削减[11,12,13,14]。这些力量集合在一起,一点一点地啃食着大学的生存空间,迫使校方不得不向教职工们转嫁压力。于是,在经费越来越稀缺的时候,教授们却在被学校越发卖力地驱使着,向联邦政府争取更多的科研经费。最终导致的结果,是一套于大学非常有害的政策——它们不仅造成了教学与科研的对立,还使得两者都屈从于根本不切实际的资金追求。例如,新墨大工学院最新颁布的一个制度,就以教学负担为惩罚,诱使教授们更多地去追寻科研资金(事实上,该制度只以教授们引来的科研资金作为其学术能力的唯一度量。而匪夷所思的是,这跟学术能力压根毫无关系,更别提创新能力了)。

5、过专业化、心胸狭隘与目光短浅

资金上的压力同样也带来了精神上的压力。当人类感到不安时,我们会变得更保守与退缩——我们只求凡事稳妥,而不敢放手一搏。但问题是,创新从本质上就离不开探索性的风险。创新的目标是发现新事物——超越现状,发现或者创造前所未有的事物。既要求索未知,又要万无一失,本来就是自相矛盾的。

在美国,传统意义上,大学一直在为类似的科学探索提供一个安全的避风港,而联邦、各州和企业对此的资金支持也一直不曾断供(顺便提一句,采购现成的尖端研究成果,要远比通过工业界或是政府亲自研发来得实惠,而且还能让这些机构规避失败的风险)。这一结合曾经带来了惊人的回报,利润常常是投资的好几倍都不止。

但这当前的风气下,所有这些机构,包括科学家自己,都在有意回避着探索性的研究,求诸于更为安稳的路线。多数资源,都流向了已经被他人确证、保证有所回报的想法、技术(以及学者);而主流之外的想法,却越来越难以得到同行评审的认可,获取学校的支持,或是赢得相关机构的经费。其后果就是,在大量的科研领域,学者的视野越来越狭隘,对创新性的探索越来越排斥(我的同事,喷气推进实验室的基里·瓦格斯塔夫,针对我们所从事的机器学习领域,就该问题的一个具体方面写过一篇精彩的分析)。

6、激励缺失

除了以上几条,“要么发表、要么消亡”和“不拉经费、死路一条”这样的压力,打击了研究者对自己专长之外的领域的探索。现如今,无论是想在你自己的领域发表创新性的专著,还是试图努力发掘新的交叉领域、拓宽经费来源,都已经越发地不可能(更别提类似“帮助学生完成学业”这样的“杂事”了)。在这样的情形下,想做探索性和交叉性的研究变得越来越困难。而很多对社会意义重大的交叉性项目,其实并没有要求每一个相关的学科方向都非得做出创新性的研究成果不可。类似的门槛因此而阻碍了很多人在这些方向上投入自己的精力。就拿我自己的经历来说吧:当你不能从“帮助拯救婴儿的生命”这样的工作里得到应有的肯定与认可时,你就知道我们的学术激励机制肯定出了什么大问题了。

7、教育的量产化

对于斯坦福的超过十万学生的计算机课程、麻省理工的系列开放课程以及其它致力于大规模远程教育的项目[15,16],新闻媒体上可谓是一片齐声赞扬[17,18,19,20]。从某些方面来说,这些努力确实令人激动——这或许是上千年来第一次为人类的教育方式提供了一种结构性改变的可能。它们将教育“民主化”了——为全世界不同地区、不同经济与社会背景的人们提供了接触世界顶尖教育的途径。要是我们能够将优质的教育提供给越来越多的人们,将可以诞生多少拉马努金式的天才?

但关于这一浪潮,我不得不提出三个警示。

首先,我所担心的是,教育的规模化,将会带来跟制造业两百年间的量产化一样的后果——政府当局为了节约开支,会迫使远程课程的规模一再扩张,从而进一步削减授课所需的教职工岗位。谁知道会不会有一天,整个美国的计算机科学专业只剩下唯一一个教授?

其次,我怀疑“赢者通吃”的循环会像它在工业界和社会中一样造成学术界的畸形扭曲。当不再有距离或学费的限制以后,还有哪个学生会拒绝斯坦福和麻省理工的远程教育,而选择类似新墨大这样的学校?离学术界出现的美国电话电报公司(AT&T)、微软或者谷歌这样的寡头还有多久?离1%的大学和教授占有99%的学生和资源的日子还有多久?

最后,这一趋势将威胁甚至是抹除学术界里,对学生和教师最为宝贵的体验。从最本质的层面来说,教育发生在个体与个体之间——这是一种教师与学生之间私人的沟通,无论时间或长或短。它可以是随堂回答一个学生提出的问题,也可以是在面谈时间用二十分钟解决一个难题,甚至是花上几年时间与自己的指导的博士生紧密协作——这其中的人性沟通,对双方都意义非凡。它所带来的影响之深刻,远远超出了对信息本身的传递——它教会我们如何融入周边的社会,并为我们设立了一个值得效仿的榜样——在一个学术领域内我们该如何行事,如何缜密思索,如何变得更专业,以及如何实现心智的成
熟,等等。我非常担忧的是,我们对这一过程的“民主化”,将会切断这一人性沟通,把这一上千年的古老事业中,最充满欢乐的一面消磨殆尽。

8、工资待遇

一直以来,学术界工作者的收入都低于他们工业界的同行们——其中的差距通常还大得惊人(尤其是备受业界青睐的行业,如简称STEM行业的科学、技术、工学与数学,还有各种医疗、法律以及其它学科)。从前,大学还能为教授提供宽松的学术自由与日程安排,以及培养下一代人的愉悦感,以此来补偿他们收入上的劣势。但我上文所提及的种种改变,却把这种补偿给掐掉了一大半。这使得我们在拿着不相称的薪水的同时,却拿不到其它应有的回报。就像一位同事在我宣布辞职时所说的,“‘酷’也是我们的收入之一。要是‘酷’的成分都没了,那我们还不如去其它地方多赚点钱呢。”

9、反智主义,教育无用论,还有对科学与学术界的恶意攻击

在这个国家,如今有一种可怕的趋势——往小了说,是对学术界的攻击;往大了说,则是在对思想自由与知性主义的攻击。思想自由被渲染成破坏性的、危险的、精英至上的,还跟阴谋论扯上了关系(我都不知道“阴谋”两字从何谈起,它可不是你们这些家伙想当然的那种意思)。大学被指责效率低下,教授们则形如行尸走肉(在他们拿到终身制以后)或是在以某种方式“迫害年轻一代”(苏格拉底的反对者们,在他们毒死人类最伟大的思想家之一前,也说过类似的话)。政客们攻击科学界,为的是不过是讨好原教旨主义者以及各自的资本赞助者。

其实这些想法背后的元素,多多少少都曾浮现于美国的思潮中。但最近这些年里,这却已经成为了这个国家的时代精神中,一个溃烂、化脓、生疽的伤口。那些肆意攻击教育事业的人或许忘了,美国正是通过19世纪所引导、创立的公共教育体系,才改变了数千年来社会与经济上的不平等?他们或许也忘了,正是教育造就了我们领先世界的各个行业,从而奠定了这个国家伟大的根基——艺术、音乐、文学、政治哲学、建筑学、工程学、理学、数学、药学……?他们或许还忘了,这个世界上最大的经济体依赖于(受过教育的)创新;而人类史上最强大的军队,也离不开教育体系所结出的科技与工程学的
硕果?他们或许更忘了,美国的脊梁——我们口口声声说要维护的宪法——就出自启蒙时期受过良好教育的政治理想主义者;而他们坚信的,是只有通过被启蒙过的、受过教育的选民的一举一动,才能实现自由与一个更为公正的社会?

坦率的说,现状不仅令人作呕,更是危机重重。要是任凭这些憎恨者、恐惧者还有政治投机者当道掌权,他们将会剖空人类史上最伟大的机构之一;而在此过程中,他们也将割断这个国家的气管,放干未来创新的血液。我确定,其它国家将会很乐意填补这一空缺,争相啄食这一具名为“美国”的尸体残骸。

作者后记:在我的决定背后,当然还有对其它因素的考虑。而任何生活的变迁也很难在一篇短文中阐述清楚。不过,本文中所列的这些都是最主要的因素了。

我也并不是永远抛弃了学术界。我只是暂时希望尝试一下工业界这条路,而未来我也随时有可能回归学术界。教授这份工作,毫无疑问依然有我所欣赏和喜爱的地方。在此期间,我也会寻找其他的方式,去贡献社会,去教育下一代,也去改变这个世界。

——本文2012年夏发表于作者Terran Lane博客。作者为普渡大学博士、麻省理工学院(MIT)人工智能实验室博士后;2002年起就职于新墨西哥大学,2008年升任该校终身副教授,2012年辞职转投谷歌公司。

AUGUST 19, 2012
http://www.chronicle.com/article/On-Leaving-Academe/133717

Earlier this year, I resigned from my position as an associate professor of computer science at the University of New Mexico; in July, I started as a software engineer at Google. Countless people, from my friends to my (former) dean, have asked, Why? Why give up an excellent—some say "cushy"—tenured faculty position for the grind of corporate life?

It's a good question. Tenure represents the ultimate in intellectual freedom; my colleagues in my department were talented, friendly, and incredibly innovative; and I was privileged to work with some excellent students, a number of whom would have fit in just fine at powerhouse institutions like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology or Purdue University.

Honestly, the reasons are myriad and complex, and some of them are purely personal. But I wanted to lay out the ones that speak to larger trends at the university, in New Mexico, in academe, and in the United States in general. I haven't made this move lightly, and I think it's an important cautionary note to sound: The factors that have made academe less appealing to me will also affect other professors. I'm concerned that the United States—one of the innovation powerhouses of the world—will hurt its own future considerably if we continue to make educational professions unappealing.

Making a difference. Ultimately, I got into academic science to make a positive contribution in the world. My goal hasn't changed, but, for some of the reasons I outline below, it has become harder to achieve over time. Google is a strong example of an organization that actually is using advanced computer science to make a real, positive difference in the world. While it's also difficult to make an impact working at an immense company like Google, in the current climate it seems I have a better chance here than in academe.

Work-life imbalance. Immense amounts have been written about the imbalance issue, and I won't try to reprise the arguments here. Suffice it to say that the professorial life can be grueling, if you try to do the job well, and being posttenure doesn't make it easier. This is a widespread problem in academe, and my university was no different. As of my departure, the University of New Mexico had still not approved a unified parental or family-leave policy for faculty, let alone established consistent policies and support for work-life balance.

Centralization of authority and decrease of autonomy. In my time at the university, I served under four presidents, three provosts, and two deans. The consistent pattern of management changes was centralization of control and resources, and increased pressure on departments and faculty members. Those trends gradually, but quite noticeably, produced implicit and explicit attacks on faculty autonomy (less money under faculty control and more uncertainty). In turn, I (and many others) feel that those attacks subvert both teaching and research missions of the university.

Budget climate. A near-decade of two simultaneous foreign wars, topped off by the most brutal recession in two generations, has left federal and state budgets reeling. A poisonous political climate and a Congressional meltdown has destroyed any chance of coherent, reasoned budget planning.

In the face of such pressures, we have seen at least seven years of flat or declining support for federal science programs while state legislatures have slashed educational spending across the country. Together, those forces are crunching universities, which has led to additional pressure on faculty members. Professors are being pushed ever harder to win ever higher levels of federal research money precisely at a time when that money is ever tougher to come by.

Such trends hurt the university by putting the teaching mission at odds with the research mission and subjugating both to the quest for the elusive dollar. A recent policy change in my old university's engineering school, for example, uses teaching load as a punishment to goad professors into chasing grant money. (Indeed, the policy measures research success only as a function of dollars brought in. Strangely, research productivity doesn't enter the picture, let alone creativity.)

Hyperspecialization, insularity, and narrowness of vision. The economic pressures have also turned into intellectual pressures. When humans feel panicked, we tend to become more conservative and risk-averse—we go with the sure thing, rather than the gamble.

The problem is that creativity is all about exploratory risk. The goal is to find new things—to go beyond state-of-the-art and to discover or create things that the world has never seen. It's a contradiction to simultaneously forge into the unknown and to insist on a sure bet. Traditionally, U.S. universities have provided a safe home for that kind of exploration, and federal, state, and corporate dollars have supported it (incidentally, buying advanced research far cheaper than it would be cost in either industry or government, and insulating those entities from the risk). The combination has yielded amazing dividends, paying off at many, many times the level of investment.

In the current climate, however, all of those entities, as well as scientists themselves, are leaning away from exploratory research and insisting on sure bets. Most of the money goes to ideas and techniques (and researchers) that have proven profitable in the past, while it's harder and harder to get ideas outside of the mainstream to be accepted by peer review, supported by the university, or financed by grant agencies. The result is increasingly narrow vision in a variety of scientific fields and an intolerance of creative exploration. (My colleague Kiri Wagstaff, of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, has written an excellent analysis of one facet of this problem within our own field of machine learning.)

Poor incentives. The "publish or perish" and "procure funding or perish" pressures discourage exploration outside one's own specialty. It's hard to do exploratory or interdisciplinary research when it is unlikely to yield either novel publications or new grant money (let alone, say, help students complete their degrees) in your own field.

But many things that are socially important to do don't necessarily require novel research in all of the participating fields, so there's a strong disincentive to work on those projects. As just one example from my own experience: My research team was asked to help on a medical-school project that would actually help save babies' lives. But the statistical techniques needed for the project were already established, so there was nothing precisely publishable for my graduate students working on it and no good basis for new grant proposals from the work. Any time spent on it would delay students' progress toward their Ph.D. with nothing to show for it on their CV's. When you can't get credit for helping to save babies' lives, then you know there's something seriously wrong in the incentive system.

Mass production of education. There's been a lot of excitement in the media about Stanford University's 100,000-student courses in computer science, MIT's open-sourced classes, and other efforts at mass distance education. In some ways, those efforts really are thrilling—they offer the first truly deep structural change in how we do education in perhaps a thousand years. They offer democratization—opening up access to world-class education to people from all over the globe of diverse economic and social backgrounds. How many Srinivasa Ramanujans might we enable, if only we could get high-quality education to more people? But I have to sound three notes of caution.

First, I worry that mass production in this case will have the same effect that it has had on manufacturing for over two centuries: Administrators and regents, eager to save money, will push for ever larger remote classes and fewer faculty members to teach them. Are we approaching a day in which there is only one professor of computer science for the whole country?

Second, I suspect that the "winners win" cycle will distort academe the same way that it has industry and society. When freed of constraints of distance and tuition, why wouldn't every student choose a Stanford or MIT education over, say, the University of New Mexico? How long before we see the AT&T, Microsoft, or Google of academe? How long before 1 percent of the universities and professors garner 99 percent of the students and money?

Third, and finally, this trend threatens to kill some of what is most valuable about the academic experience—to both students and teachers. At the most fundamental level, education happens between individuals—a personal connection, however long or short, between mentor and student.

Whether it's answering a question raised in class, taking 20 minutes to work through a tricky idea during office hours, or spending years of close collaboration in a Ph.D.-mentorship relationship, the human connection matters to both sides. It resonates at levels far deeper than the mere conveyance of information—it teaches us how to be social together and sets role models of what it is to perform in a field, to think rigorously, to be professional, and to be intellectually mature. I am terribly afraid that our efforts to democratize the process will kill the human connection and sterilize one of the most joyful facets of this thousand-year-old institution.

Salaries. It has always been the case that academics are paid less—substantially so—than their comparable colleagues in industry. (That is especially true in highly competitive fields, such as science, technology, engineering, and math as well as various health fields, law, and certain other disciplines.)

Traditionally, universities compensate for the disparity with broad intellectual freedom, a flexible schedule, and the joy of mentoring new generations of students. But all of the trends I have outlined above have cut into those compensations, leaving faculty members underpaid, but with little to show for it. As one of my colleagues remarked when I announced my departure, "We're being paid partly in cool. If you take away the cool parts of the job, you might as well go make more money elsewhere."

Anti-intellectualism, anti-education, and attacks on science and academe. There is a terrifying trend in this country right now of attacking academe, specifically, and free thought and intellectualism, generally. Free thought is painted as subversive, dangerous, elitist, and (strangely) conspiratorial. ("That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.")

Universities are accused of inefficiency and professors of becoming deadwood after tenure or of somehow "subverting the youth." (Socrates's accusers made a similar claim before they poisoned one of the great thinkers of the human race.) Politicians attack science to score points with angry voters, religious fundamentalists, and corporate sponsors. Some elements of those feelings have always floated through the United States psyche, but in recent years they have risen to the level of a festering wound in the zeitgeist of the country.

Perhaps those who sling accusations at education have forgotten that the United States helped reshape millennia of social and economic inequity by spreading public education in the 19th century? Or that education has underlaid the majority of the things that have made this country great—fields in which we have led the world? Art, music, literature, political philosophy, architecture, engineering, science, mathematics, medicine, and many others? That the largest economy in the world rests on (educated) innovation, and that the most powerful military in human history is enabled by technological and engineering fruits of the educational system? That the very bones of the United States—the Constitution we claim to hold so dear—were crafted by highly educated political idealists of the Enlightenment, who firmly believed that freedom and a more just society are possible only through the actions of an enlightened and educated population of voters?

Frankly, it's sickening, not to mention dangerous. If the haters, fearers, and political opportunists have their way, they will gut one of the greatest institutions in human history and, in the process, will cut the throat of this country, draining its lifeblood of future creativity. Other countries will be happy to fill the gap, I'm sure.

There are other factors behind my decision, of course. Any life change is too complex to express in a short essay. Those are the major ones, though.

Nor am I necessarily done with academe forever. I'm going to give the industry track a try for a while, but I could well find myself back in higher education in the future. There are certainly many things I still find beautiful and joyful about faculty work. In the interim, I will look for other ways to contribute to society, other ways to help educate the future, and other ways to change the world.

Terran Lane, formerly an associate professor of computer science at the University of New Mexico, is now a software engineer at Google. This essay was first published on his blog Ars Experientia.

I share many of these concerns, as I debate whether to pursue a professorship or an "alternative" career path.

I disagree with the work-life balance concern. Being a professor affords a great deal of flexibility in planning your schedule, and the nature of being a scientist makes it difficult to not work on the problems you are trying to solve. I consider being a scientist a lifestyle one is called to.

I think the view on MOOCs is shortsighted, especially for undergraduate learning. Many don't have the opportunity to attend the best universities (or any universities) and learn the topics they desire (unless they are autodidacts). Moreover, the best teachers will be able to reach a wider audience, whereas often a student may have a fantastic researcher teaching their class that is bad at teaching (or unwilling to invest adequate time in it). Ultimately this means fewer researchers will be subsidized through teaching and something will have to be done to address that, and I predict we will gradually lose many smaller universities to this over the next 20 years.

I don't think working at most industry jobs would allow one to have as much impact as being a professor. All that being said, I strongly agree with the other concerns in the article.

Being a professor used to afford a great deal of flexibility.  Some universities are now mandating that faculty be on campus daily and for significant periods of time.  I'm concerned that this mandate will become more pervasive across academe and one of the 'perks' of academia, flexibility, will end.

Thank you for this piece.  I'm still early in my PhD program, but I haven't decided between industry or academe (or even patent law).  It's good to be able to hear about some of the criticisms at a variety of levels like this.

Go into business, forget academia.  Administrators are killing the university and this is a very tempered piece leaving  out the vile attitude of administrators towards the faculty.   The anti-intellectualism of our culture combined with a strong distrust of actual non-quantifiable benefits of education are absent.  You can make much of a difference in the world by participating in it.  There is no point wasting your life in academia unless you crave tenure as the ultimate life goal and are willing to live in poverty forever to get it. 

It's all depressing but true and no signs that the environment will get any better.

Unlike a forest, left to its own devices with enough time and sunshine and water, a university environment will not just "get any better." At some point and at some level there are a series of humans in various capacities who are adding to or detracting from this system's best functioning. Are we not, at least in some small ways, those people? What are our responsibilities to create conditions so that professors like the author want to stay?

Dr. Lane leaves out the most important part of his decision: That it's an admission that he expects things to never get better. This entire article is, in effect, saying, "Republicans haven't just declared war on education; they've won, and fighting is futile. Goodbye."

As a conservative who works in higher education, I can't begin to explain how saddened I am by the anti-Conservative (and, of course, anti-Liberal) attacks Republicans have mounted on public education over the past 30 years. Education was a cornerstone of early conservative thought. Now it's anathema, even among the supposedly conservative intellectuals at elite universities.

I fear Dr. Lane is correct; they've won.

Thank you for sharing this. Unfortunately, the PR around your essay is far too little. Administrators, parents, policy makers, professors, and students all need to read this. Far too many people believe that those of us who choose the life of the mind only have that one career option. If more people heard stories like these, I believe they would take faculty more seriously.

The deadwood faculty members can’t survive in an industrial
                              setting.  A career in academics is perfect for unproductive faculty, they can’t
                              make it in industry.

I am sure this guy is not a deadwood, nor are most tenured faculty members that I know.

dranonymous: Could you provide any evidence to support your assertions?

dranonymous: And while you're at it, please fix the run-on sentence that I'm confident many "deadwood" English professors suggested you avoid when you were an undergrad.

Sorry, but I think you are falling for a myth propagated by Hollywood and others whose egos were probably bruised by some prof.  During my career I spent time in both academia and industry.  Let me assure you that I found far more pernicious so-called dead wood in industry (people who clocked in their 40 hours, with a lot of it wasting other people's time, hanging around the proverbial water cooler, sleep walking through meetings, using training as a ticket for time off, and the like - think in terms of the Wally character in the Dilbert cartoons).  And yes, I certainly knew some academics who fit the stereotypical dead wood category, but in contrast to industry, few, if any, were uncaring about how their colleagues viewed them, they simply were not very good at the job, usually the professional development side of it.

as I think of a number I have known over the year,  Iwould agree - but also have to say that 'cwinton' (replying to your assertion) is also correct.  Deadwood exists everywhere.

Simply not true, dranonymous. In the private sector there is enough deadwood to construct a castle wall and they survive behind it just fine. Of all the faculty on my campus I can think of just 1, a single tenured faculty member, who could be considered so-called "deadwood," and that clandestine claim is probably arguable. Where do you get such ideas?

FYI: Outside of academia

http://www.vanityfair.com/b...

It is absolutely possible to continue to impact others in a non-academic setting.  You may be surprised how many of your colleagues at Google respond gratefully to being around a positive and inspiring colleague.  In fact, you may initially find poor morale and crappy attitudes, which are epidemic in the American workplace, but you will also find that the patience and coaching skills you developed as an instructor are much needed in your new career and will set you apart.

You sound wistful and regretful that you are leaving your first love for this opportunity, but there is really nothing wrong with your choice.

Thank you for this honest assessment of your experience in academia.  Too often in CHE we hear from clearly exploited faculty waxing poetic about the joy they derive from teaching, advising/mentoring, and research with almost no attention devoted to the structures in place that threaten to diminish the very joys they extol.  You have delineated some of these structures very clearly in this short piece.  I would only add that you write from the relatively privileged position of someone in the STEM fields; I believe the concerns you raise are magnified for those of us in the humanities and social sciences - areas that are largely viewed as non-essential in today's world.  The result of such sentiments is that you can at least find a lucrative career outside of academia to go to while the rest of us have far fewer opportunities to do so.  Still, this article helps strengthen my resolve to leave academia as soon as it becomes possible. 

I think you understate the non-campus options available to faculty members in the humanities.  Good work in this area has been done recently by the American Historical Association under Jim Grossman, and other, even more traditionally-focused or conservative associations (in the real, non-political meaning of the term), are investigating alternative career tracks, as well.  This coming winter, the American Philological Association and the Archaeological Institute of America will hold a session on alternative career paths at their joint annual meeting; and indeed, they are reexamining a theme that they began addressing systematically as early as the 1970s.   
                                                                  As someone who voluntarily resigned a mid-career tenured faculty position to go into the federal service, for some but not all of the same reasons cited by Lane, and has since moved between federal service, campus administrative, and higher education association positions, I can vouchsafe the possibility of following alternative career tracks for people who hold doctorates in the humanities, and I can point to a number of colleagues who have followed the same path.  You might be very surprised at the career doors that can be opened with advanced degrees in classical languages, ancient art history, pre-modern European history, etc.
                                                                  I would probably agree that the options available to degree holders in some, but hardly all, fields of STEM, may be greater than to those of us in the humanities, but don't underestimate the possibilities that advanced degree attainment open to any person willing to approach the job market with flexibility.
                                                                  As a closing, cautionary note, and despite what I have written about job alternatives above, we need to protect prospective graduate students from greedy academic departments that take the preceding reality and use it to justify enrolling students who have little prospect of the academic employment they enter graduate school seeking.  Enrollments should be realistically geared to the market and not simply a justification for maintaining faculty lines and departmental turf. 

see more

I have a STEM & humanities (PhD) background and would love to leave academia for good.  I have taught for the past 17 years both FT & part-time.  If you have solid resources for real companies that do innovation or contact info, please direct message on twitter (thinkingshop )

You'll be back.

Nice article. The author was lucky to receive a job offer from such a good employer. Matt Welsh left his tenured position at Harvard to go to Google:

http://matt-welsh.blogspot....

I hope to find good non-academic employment or a good business opportunity in the next few years. Tenure has not provided me with anything but a higher service load. I hope to hear an update from the author in a year or two.

• Avatar

The author started his position in July.  I would like to see a follow-up essay next summer after the "honeymoon period" has worn off.

• Avatar

As someone who has made the leap the other way (from industry to academia), I wish the author luck with his career change.  However, I think he may quickly find that he is engaging in some "grass is greener" thinking.

All of the problems and trends he lists for academia are indeed troubling.  But the author may be unpleasantly surprised to learn that even his decreasing level of autonomy is much more autonomous and less autocratic than industry.  He will be free from committee work, but will find committee meetings replaced with meetings in which his concerns are ignored and/or overruled by superiors.  And even in an organizational like Google, he will have to adapt to the hierarchical structure -- and realize how democratic academia is in comparison.  Similarly, he will likely find that the work-life balance goes from unbalanced to completely out of kilter -- there is little or no flexibility in industry, and long days are the norm.  And hyperspecialization, myopia and insularity have long been hallmarks of the corporate realm.

I truly hope the author never encounters the most jarring aspect of industry -- its ability to shed jobs at the whim of management.  In academia, even untenured faculty never have to worry about coming to work one day and learning that their departments have been eliminated, and that effective that day, they are unemployed.  Or, rather than a terminal contract, you can hear "This just isn't working out. Here's your final paycheck. Security is waiting to escort you out."  In academia, you more or less control your own fate.  In the corporate world, you can be great at your job, exceed every benchmark and still find yourself in the unemployment line without notice for reasons beyond your control. ("Publish or perish" is far superior to "publish or perish, or maybe perish anyway -- and suddenly and without warning") In spite of budget problems, universities aren't laying off professors en masse -- which is the corporate response to revenue problems.

The author has some valid complaints about the trends in academia, but I would argue that many of them can be traced to the academy's embrace of corporate models (i.e. education as a business).  In other words, they are shifts in academic life toward corporatism, so I don't see moving to corporate life as an answer.  For all the frustrations and downward trends of academic life, I can't imagine going back to corporate life and its insecurity.  In addition to the intellectual stimulation, psychological rewards and relative autonomy, the security of knowing that I control my own fate makes academia an easy choice over the corporate world.

see more
                                                                                  • Avatar

He will be paid better, at least. When the shifts of academic life toward corporatism cross a line, the pay gap becomes unjustifiable.

• Avatar

Given my comment above, I've obviously been giving a lot of thought to the move. I have no doubt that your comment reflects some of your experiences. They are just that, though, your experiences. For one thing, you are equating nonacademic with "average guy in a large corporation."

There is a mindset among many academics that the academic life is a bed of roses and life in the private sector is one in which you work 100-hour weeks, bosses are whipping you to get you to work faster, and half the workforce loses its job each year.

It all depends. Some jobs come with long hours, some don't. The vast majority of people I talk with cannot understand the idea that when you're not at the office you might still be working. Some jobs are very insecure, others are not. Some bosses are bad, some aren't. One of the beautiful things is that, unlike the academic world, people take new jobs all the time.

There are tradeoffs as with anything. Some prefer to have a higher salary. Some prefer the ability to work their way up. Some prefer to work in an environment where there are no limits to your income, and you don't have your salary set by the Tea Party.

It's way too complicated to write off the author as just a naive professor who doesn't understand how the world works. God forbid that someone be willing to take a risk in an attempt to find a better career. No offense intended, but when I read something like what you've written, I see someone who is extremely risk averse and interested only in what the employer will do for you. You're someone who is asked at the interview, "Do you have any questions for us?" and you ask about the retirement plan. It says a lot that you didn't even address his desire to find a job that he likes to do. Believe it or not, there are those of us who actually care about our work.

see more
                                                                                          • Avatar

We have these industry conditions already in the for profit sector of higher ed. Clock punching, face time where you get credit for 8 hours a week (or less some places) for each class you teach, so the rest of it you have to be on campus - usually it is assigned as to when and frequently you have no choice (and that would include Saturday's), often doing secretarial work, filing, etc. In that sector there is usually NO academic freedom, you can be fired at someone's whim, no sick days, no vacation days... It's a pretty grim, low paying, sector of higher education.

• Avatar

I'm a literature professor, and thus usually one of the worst paid members of the academy. Many of these points ring chillingly true, alas, particularly your discussion about the insidious and destructive nature of anti-intellectualism. When an elected official can talk about "legitimate rape" and not be howled out of office, when the Texas GOP can say that "critical thinking" is dangerous and shouldn't be taught, when the country's public education system K-12 designs curricula around multiple-choice tests and statistical analyses of teacher effectiveness, then we are a country whose intellectual capital has dwindled precipitously, and those who are supposed to defend intellectual freedom & exploration (academics, public intellectuals) have decided to take their fight elsewhere because they are so demoralized and demonized. 

• Avatar

If you think that the academy is anti-intellectual, try corporate America for a while. Having gone in the opposite direction, I'd say that the author has traded the frying pan for the fire! Everything he says about academia is magnified times a thousand in corporate America. But of course those who spent all their time in school, from undergrad, through grad school, and into an academic job, would have no way of knowing this. I find myself scoffing at my academic colleagues who complain that they have it bad. They haven't a clue about what the majority suffers in the corporate realm. That's not to say that one shouldn't fight to counter the trends in the university'--one should. But one can't fight by leaving and going to work for the very kind of institution that academe is modelling!

• Avatar

I agree completely with MannahattaMamma but your post reminds me that we are all affected by these trends differently depending on what we are trying to accomplish.  Sometimes I am truly astonished that I'm willing to work for peanuts to get something done that so happens to keep me in the academic setting.  The question for me is not whether to get out but how and where.  When I worked freelance in business I made substantial, wonderful money and maintained my freedom but couldn't carry out my research.  At some point the specific research goal will be accomplished and then I'm out of academia but not back to traditional industry. I think we have to imagine solutions apart from what we have known.

• Avatar

Hey as one of the worst paid in regular higher ed - get a job at a for profit. They get paid more there. Of course business, etc, gets paid a lot less. Everyone gets paid the same and although the "average" is lower than the average for regular higher ed, according to the English and Humanities prof's on my for profit campus, they are coming out $20,000 ahead (don't even talk to the business and IS faculty about this though, they are paid around half the going rate). You will still have the problem though of the measure what we can rather than what is important and statistical analysis of teach effectiveness based on student feedback only...No academic freedom is kind of a bummer, as is clock punching, mindless hours (assigned hours) doing secretarial work so that you have put your 40 hours in (that you only get credit for 4 hours a week for doing grading , doing course prep, etc is extremely optimistic about how little time this is supposed to take and then you have another 4 hour credit for teaching that 4 hour in the classroom class against your 40 hour work week).

• Avatar

And you think the private sector will be any different?  It's more brutal because you have very long hours (if you're in a management position), absolutely no job security (unlike a tenured professor) and the politics are as insidious but less articulate.  You may have liked Google before it went public but now it's as scrutinized and as subject to the whims of the board (or trustees) as higher ed.  Good luck getting used to the lack of civility and the realization that your contributions will be even less valued in your new position. (I've spent half my career in higher ed and half in the private sector - I prefer academe.)

If you really want to contribute to society, go to work for the Peace Corps or find a position in a charitable non-profit.

• Avatar

Last January I left academe once again, third venture out.  I left a deanship, I had previously left as an assistant professor and as a tenured associate department chair.  All of the reasons givenn by this author resonate with me for each time I left.  I won't be back.  I am happy for the freedom I have found.  My spouse, also a PhD, says she would NEVER enter academe.   

• Avatar

If nothing else, you win me over with with your Princess Bride reference. 

Your story is both empowering and sad: you outline some pretty compelling reasons for leaving the academy, but I deeply regret your removal from the institution. Of course, being a humanist myself, I find it bone-chilling that even in an exalted field like Computer Science you can still feel the spirit-sucking vacuum of anti-intellectualism.The problems you identify in the academy are all structural, rather than individual: how can we begin to solve these? I too see the creeping centralization, the grant chasing for the sake of grant chasing, the intellectual risk aversion, the dismissal of "baby saving" as a valuable goal, the massification of the classroom. I'm inclined, though, to stay and try to change it from within: but how?

• Avatar

Rest assured, having a few years of real-deal corporate experience in his field will not hurt his faculty prospects should he wish to return to academia...

• Avatar

I share many, if not all of these concerns as well.  I was in my 5th year of a temporary, non-tenured position when I was told that my position (not me) was being converted to a permanent, tenured position.  Because of the mentioned concerns but mostly because of the culture of intimidation and unprofessional-ism in my department I decided to leave instead of applying for the new position.  I would still like to teach but I'll try again at another time and in a different university.

• Avatar

Teaching is *the* reason why I keep one foot in academia. I've come to realize that teaching when I feel like it, on my own terms, is the best of both worlds. Like you, the other dept'l issues just didn't make the tenure fight worth having. Academia needs to sort through its demons now, and then maybe, just maybe, the real educators among us might find value there again.

• Avatar

I always find it a bit strange when former academics have to write long essays explaining why they left academia. Ultimately, it's a personal decision. There are some good things about an academic career, and there are a lot of bad things (which the author describes). There are goods things about a non-academic career and there are bad things. Everyone has there own priorities. 

In addition, I think it must be added that in certain academic areas, the faculty have many more lucrative and challenging opportunities to pursue outside the university.It's a lot easier for a computer science professor, for example, to say, "I'm fed up with university life and I'm just going to take that $200,000 a year job with Google", than it is, say, for an English professor.

• Avatar

The bottem line is "...too many supervisors/administrators in higher ed and not enough workers/profs." This drives out the "workers."

• Avatar

My own personal experience is coming from industry into academia (STEM).  I worked for a big corporation that had a near market monopoly, and over several years we had several different CEOs, organizational restructuring, lay-offs, frozen pay, no bonuses, acquisitions, divestitures, all in "good" economic times.  There were endless meetings, marketing driven product development, regulatory infractions, many layers of management, repetitive tasks, office politics, long hours, etc.  From talking with professors who went through their entire education continuously, then onto the TT, it is evident that they would have benefited from a few years in industry prior to making the academe career choice.  It is a personal choice, but each path has its ups and downs.  The grass is definitely not greener.

• Avatar

Having made the reverse decision, leaving the corporate world for academe, I still fully understand you decision.  I'm retired from the military, IT, and K-12.  I'm now a FT professor and find I can influence my students to make a difference with their lives.  I've found my ability to influence my environment wanes more as I get older.  My ability to influence young people to make a difference with their lives however, has far more effect as the years go by.

Each of us made a decision based on how we assessed our abilities to effect change.  I think we both made a good decision.  I wish you well.

• Avatar

The good news is, your decision is not irreversible, you can come back, maybe with a raise owing to "Industrial Experience". Sadly, I've also done both, and you will find the nasty politics in Industry almost the same as at the college, plus, you can be quickly let go owing to downsizing. My advice, if and when you return to academe, go to another country that apprceciates your philosophy and career aims. May I suggest Australia, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Denmark and even Italy (they are teaching all English now at the Polytechnic in Milan). The Academy in America, and to a lesser extent Canada, have started on a path that Corporatizes all things at the University, and, like the failing American Industry, power and money is concentrated at the top. Just look at administartive costs in America relative to the world.

• Avatar

Regarding politics in academia vs. industry, my own comparative experience is consistent with the famous Kissinger quote about people fighting hard because the stakes are so low. So very true of my experience. I have yet to encounter in industry or government the egos that I encountered in higher ed.

Indeed, industry is a lot more fickle than it once was- gone are the days when people would join a company and stay with that company for life. But if you avoid the obvious bubbles (e.g. Facebook) then there are still some companies that will solidly support an employee's growth for the long term. Google has emerged as one of those companies and has a godo deal of funds for investment.

• Avatar

I left industry to enter the academy, for some of the same reasons you are going the other way. You make excellent points and I don't dispute. But sometimes the grass is greener on the other side of the fence...
                                                                                                                                                  After I have spent enough years in academics to make a good judgement, I might just write an article comparing the two!

• Avatar

It seems that you thoroughly considered your decision.  Good for you; be bold, take some risks, and enjoy the big world outside of academia. Even if you do decide to return, you'll be much better informed about academia's place in the broader economy. My first few steps outside academia were tentative, perhaps fearful... but my goodness me, I've learned a lot.

To your list of good reasons to depart, I would add professional politics.... an occupation in which so many academics eagerly engage.

Anyway... good for you, best of luck, and enjoy the ride!

• Avatar

This comment was deleted.

• Avatar

And what story is that?

There are 14 student ratings in the last 8 years, 3 of them positive, one mixed and 10 negative. All are anonymous. All but one are older than 5 years. One contains the ludicrous statement "Horrible ... as a person."

Most people on this forum know that you can't read too much into RMP, especially with mixed ratings like that.

• Avatar

Having experienced some of this myself, leading to my departure from academe, and now watching my wife experience similar issues, I am beginning to believe it is an endemic problem. The author has done a great job walking thru the decision process and marshalling the analysis as to the drivers for the decision. Well done. I am a bit puzzled by some of the comments however. I read the article numerous times and never once saw a reference to Republicans or the GOP that a few commenters felt obliged to weigh in on. No worries, but seems odd to run to those conclusions based off the author's comments. Suffice it to say I believe its perfectly reasonable to be for reform and not be anti-education. And it seems to me that the author was lamenting a tendancy to think reform must mean tearing down. And it seems equally obvious that "support for education" when it means resistance to reform can be equally devastating. The author is about to discover a great deal about disruption in his new role at Google. I wish him the best and I suspect he will do very well.

• Avatar

Bravo on a well-written and earnest assessment of the cesspool that has become higher education.  I agree with you on every point, the most salient being the issues of salary stagnation, work-life balance and narrowness of vision. Although not working for Google, I took the same path you did, and have never looked back.

I know that there are pockets within academia where students are getting a top rate educational experience but those pockets are increasingly dwindling for the reasons you mention. We are seeing a forced march into the abyss so aptly described by this axiom: "those who can, do while those who can't teach"

• Avatar

Sadly telling account of academe today. 

• Avatar

Keep in mind that many of these corporations expect their software engineers to work marathon sessions, sometimes 100 hours per week.  You also can be replaced with a replacement worker from overseas.

• Avatar
                                                                                                                                                                              • Avatar

You'll be sorry, Terry. As someone who went in the other direction, from corporate America to academe, I can tell you that you are heading into Hell itself. Why leave the last (albeit beleaguered) bastion of all remaining intellectual freedom for a corporate Panoptiicon like Google? I'd find the decision baffling, if I didn't believe that it was based on sheer lack of information and experience. 

• Avatar

I could write volumes, and I mean hundreds of pages, documenting the surveillance, the lack of autonomy, the anti-intellectualism, the servility, the encroachments on life and mind, that corporate America represents, regardless of the corporation.

You should have written an article before making your decision, telling us what you were contemplating. As it is, we can't help you now! So long! you probably don't even have the time or freedom to read these remarks!

• Avatar

Well Thought.

• Avatar

I found this article exhilarating because I believe I've experienced what the author has written. But I cite one difference.  As a late starter, I am still working on my first book and I have another and a few academic articles that I can't get done outside of academia. I tried to produce as an adjunct and even won a Fulbright Senior Research grant and a membership at Institute for Advanced Studies at Princeton.  Yet I'm getting more done in the academic publishing area in academia. I'd like to finish these projects and get out. Why not have a third career? But to get back to the subject, young scholars should stay in the academy only if they are getting what they want: time, salary, intellectual stimulation, and results both in research and teaching.  Otherwise, there's a big world out there unless one wants to suffer the mediocrity and administrative oppression because perhaps one has a nice home and garden and is happy with that.  I see that kind of contentment around me.  My constitution does not permit that kind of satisfaction though.

• Avatar

The author had this to say: "It has always been the case that academics are paid less—substantially so—than their comparable colleagues in industry. (That is especially true in highly competitive fields, such as science, technology, engineering, and math as well as various health fields, law, and certain other disciplines.)"  This begs the question of whether academics have a comparable colleague in industry.

As a computer engineer, of course you do have a comparable colleague--but this is not the case for more than "certain other disciplines."  Most disciplines outside of STEM do not have a comparable colleague in industry--and this really does matter.

When you make sweeping statements, you reinforce the idea amongst humanities professors that they are doing no harm to their graduate and post-graduate students by admitting them to a program which takes up many years of their lives, forces those who don't have deep-pocketed parents into debt, and which trains them for a profession in which their chances of getting a job are close to the chances of winning the lottery. It is simply not true that academics are paid less, moreover it is simply not true that they are paid substantially less, than people outside the academy--beyond a few rare exceptions. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that a person with a computer science PhD has a very good shot at a higher salary--you might be the exception.

The climate in universities is changing because the people who have been eaten up and spat out by the self-replicating machine that is the academy have become quite vocal about the scam which has bankrupted them and ruined their futures. A person with a PhD in a humanities field is lucky to get a job making $20K a year--absolutely lucky--most of them cannot even get interviews for positions which they would have been qualified for straight out of high school. The degree is an albatross around one's neck--a very costly, very time-devouring, extremely smelly albatross.

An engineering school, of course, does actually train people for a profession--and so it is a slightly different beast--but this is my point. It is best not to make sweeping statements about "academics" when you are actually one of the few academics preparing students for a real-world profession.

Students enter college with the idea that they are going to be trained for a profession--professors work in universities that the idea is that they are doing "research" to "add to the field" and teach a class or two in order to "produce globally-aware citizens."  Graduate students and post-graduate students have been trained to trust their professors--and this trust is not well placed. Since colleges and universities are now prohibitively expensive, students (undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate) are now making their voices heard because they are footing most of the bill themselves.

It isn't the institution that is in pursuit of the all-mighty dollar.  It is the students who are being vocal about not being willing to spend money on classes they do not need, on being trained by professors who see themselves as artists-in-residence who allow students to sink or swim on their own, and about being lied to in terms of their chances of getting a job if they enter a particular job field.  Students are not willing to cough up money so that their professors can do something other than teach them--they are not interested in footing the bill so that you can have a "flexible" schedule and pursue "research" which ultimately puts more money in your own pocket at their expense.

If you don't want to have to be on campus so that students can get their dollar's worth, please do leave. If you don't want to understand that if students are paying the bill for the academy now, that the academy is going to have to be more responsive to students' needs, then by all means leave. If you regard a heavier teaching load, when you don't have financing for your own research, as "punishment," please, please leave.

Students need to be made more aware of where their dollars are going--they do need to become less willing to foot the bill for ridiculously high administrators' salaries, ridiculous administrative departments, and sports teams.  They need to fuss about the university doing its job--which is training them in a professional field so that they can get jobs.

Back in the day when the state footed between 50% and 60% of the bill, it was okay for you to see yourself as an artist-in-residence who was being supported by the state to do research.  Now that students are paying the bill, you are supposed to teach them--that's what they are paying for.  You don't want to teach, and you don't want the restrictions that come along with teaching, please leave. This will open up, possibly, full time jobs for those of us who would like to be teaching. At the very least, it will open up adjunct jobs in which we can teach while the presentations are done by, yes, one "professor" whose job it is to entertain the students while others do the grunt-level work of teaching. Perhaps the rest of us will earn enough money to get off welfare.

When you work in a system in which 67% of the teaching is done by part-time, temporary individuals earning less than minimum wage (the lie that one "only" works ten hours a week--which would mean that the average adjunct is making $12 an hour--is a lie: a class in writing, which is what I do, is more like 20 hours a week), enabling academicians like yourself to have a "flexible" schedule to do your "research" . . . well, that system is a heck of a lot more exploitative of the adjuncts than it is of you. I don't have a lot of sympathy for a whiner. There are many, many people who would take your teaching position in a heartbeat--that you think you can do better elsewhere is perhaps true for yourself (it remains to be seen if the "real world" will be quite as rosy as you think), but it is not true for most academicians.

Most professors need to stop whining, and at least acknowledge that they are the plantation aristocrats living off the sweat of adjuncts whom they suckered into thinking that they would be able to live "the life of the mind."  The woes of the well-to-do just really don't motivate many of us--particularly when you outline them in a long list of petty grievances.

Yes, I will take the job of any of the poor, overworked, unappreciated professors in my field whose "freedoms" are being curtailed--I will take the job in a heartbeat and be very, very glad.  So, do please, go.

see more
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • Avatar

Seems like a growing number of faculty are weighing the pros and cons.  Matt Welsh recently made the same decision, with similar reasoning: http://matt-welsh.blogspot....

• Avatar

I'd like to suggest something else, I'm surprised it's not mentioned by the author.  It's my impression from conference  presentations by academic consultants to companies like Google that a lot of the most exciting innovations in his field are kept proprietary because of the competitive edge it gives to a company.  So if you want to really be on the bleeding edge you have to be on the inside.

• Avatar

MOCKs don't have the best teachers.  When are you going to climb down off the star-fvcker complex some of you seem to have?

And Google's a cult. I read something about the young Google managers being taken on a international trip where they were kept way-underslept. It's like North Korea with good wines and espresso.

• Avatar

Who cares? The system is a joke anyway.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Here is my opinion: Those who are in position to make decisions make the decisions that fit their little happy space concept of the world and leave everyone else to pay the bill. Undergraduate class material is thrown out to the student like feed to chickens, masters programs emphasize theory far more than they should when they should be "MASTERING" the material and leading into theory, and Phd programs, which is where the real treatment of theory should come into play AFTER the real world applications are mastered, are no better than the masters programs in respect to actually mastering anything.  But OH ! ! let a student say these heretical things to the high seated tenured track professor who has spent his life engaging those enduring concepts and practices which he so pompously touts to show his dignified majesty and omnipotence in academics. OH hang low the head of the scoundrelous student who dares to tread with sodden boot on the paths of ivory towers with such undignified and presumptuous thoughts and be he of little regard to the true scholar for it is in the convolution and chaos that the worthy scholar find his way to the path of enlightenment.

• Avatar

The same disgraceful trend is at work here in Canada too. John Baker

• Avatar

Well said, Dr. Lane.

• Avatar

This is probably 50% accurate, but there is simply a bit too much grousing to pass a psychological smell test.

There needs to be positive change brought upon from the professors, not simply bitching about how you're so put upon, after you leave no less.

Make a change, go to the President, lobby...and if you reach a dead end, then take your toys and leave.

For every complaining comp sci prof, there are plenty happy, pleasantly obsessed others.

Wasn't Larry Page's Dad a professor? What's his take? What's the opinion of someone who is at the tail end of their career?

Articles like this, negative, and without solutions, might do more to dissuade people than the conditions they may toil in, horrible and cruelly of course.

• Avatar

"At the most fundamental level, education happens between individuals—a personal connection, however long or short, between mentor and student."
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                In my Uni I need to get Dean approval to get students to attend lecture. Why management in Uni can think of such policy...?

路过

雷人

握手

鲜花

鸡蛋

评论 (0 个评论)

facelist

您需要登录后才可以评论 登录 | 注册

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-5-19 08:57 , Processed in 0.034734 second(s), 17 queries , Gzip On.

Powered by Discuz! X3.4

© 2001-2021 Comsenz Inc.  

返回顶部