About Tom Dichter

TD HeadshotI’ve worked in development aid for half a century, in the trenches on four continents, and inside virtually every type of aid organization, including the Peace Corps, the World Bank, USAID and many NGOs.  I have become a critic of aid for development, not because I am against all aid, but because aid has become a self-serving industry, and as a result, less effective than it could be.

In the 1960s we talked about “working ourselves out of job.” The theory is that when aid for development works, we (outsiders) are no longer needed.  And now, because there is so much more will and capacity and talent than ever in so many developing countries, we are certainly less needed than before.  The development industry seems unable to face that prospect and so we have (perhaps unconsciously and perhaps willfully) set things up to keep us going, and routinely underestimated local capacity.  We secretly wish foreign aid for development would go on forever.  Then we could keep our jobs.

We say we are still needed because the problems we’ve been trying to solve remain unsolved.  But one of the reasons they remain unsolved is because we never really tackle them. Instead we do a huge amount of stuff that looks good because it appears to help poor people in the short term. We fool ourselves (and our public) by talking more and more about saving lives and reducing extreme poverty and we are pretty good at that.  We are proud that we work with the poor directly.  So we dig wells, set up water user groups, install pit latrines, talk to mothers about nutrition, give micro loans, distribute condoms, set up savings groups, do a lot of ‘capacity building,’ and a thousand other things.  But we talk less and less about economic development, and don’t do much thinking about its relationship to social structure, culture, or political economy.  We do the easy stuff, and tend to avoid the hard stuff: Working as real partners with developing country organizations and governments to help remove the barriers to growth, that is, at the level of the institutions of a society, experimenting with ways to change the arrangements in the political economy, encouraging cultural and social structural change, and so on.  This hard stuff is not only daunting and fraught with risk,  it doesn’t “sell” as well; it doesn’t lend itself to the smiley face PR that characterizes almost all attempts to publicize aid agencies.  And in the end we need to sell, otherwise there’ll be no money to pay us.  And so the cycle continues.

Dear Tom Dichter:

This is Frank from Canada.

Recently I moved by your article I've worked in foreign aid for 50 years—Trump is right to end it, even if his reasons are wrong.

Your concern combined with the concern of Professor William Easterly in his book The White Man's Burden: Why the West's Efforts to Aid the Rest Have Done So Much Ill and So Little Good, I dared say that, now, what we need to reflect is not the correctness and mistakes in the African aid, but to re-examine the definition of higher animals and lower animals, the civilizations of higher animal and lower animal?

I have a request, whether can I translate your articles in Mandarin to publish on the website of Observer that is a forum in Mandarin with gathering the scholars globally in explore the issues in social governance of politics, economics, etc. Dr. Eric Li who was the one of founder and he was the writer of A Color Revolution in China? Keep It Red - The New York Times in Dec. 6, 2010.

Yours sincerely

Frank  July 30, 2018 in Waterloo, On. Ca.

AID-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX