查看: 2146|回复: 0

Tears, prayers for victims of quake (ZT)

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-5-17 11:22:01 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Hundreds gather at Chinese consulate, Nathan Phillips Square for candlelight vigils

RICHARD LAUTENS PHOTOS/TORONTO STAR

Organizers outside the Chinese consulate on St. George St. light candles in shape of a heart May 16, 2008 as several others hold large flag of China.

May 17, 2008 04:30 AM
Tracy Huffman
Staff Reporter
They lit candles, wore yellow ribbons, and shared stories of friends and family in China.
Some were brought to tears.
Last evening, as the sun set, about 300 people, mostly from Toronto's Chinese community, gathered outside the Chinese consulate on St. George St., near Bloor St.
The candlelight vigil was organized through an online forum, requesting people congregate to pray together and raise money for victims of Monday's devastating earthquake. A separate vigil was held outside Nathan Phillips Square.
Outside the gates of the consulate building, organizers lit candles on the ground arranged in the shape of a heart. Several people held a large flag of China, while others held one stating: "Hold up Wenchuan" in Chinese characters.
"We are here to pay our respects to all those that died. Many of us still have friends and family in China," said one organizer, Sean Chai.
Although his own friends and family are safe, the 25-year-old who came to Canada seven years ago said news of the quake hit him hard.
Like many at the vigil, Chai brought yellow flowers, a Chinese tradition showing respect for the dead, he said.
"I came because I felt strongly that I needed to do something to help," said Chai. "I am deeply saddened. I want to show my respect for the dead and pray for the wellness of the survivors."
An estimated 50,000 are dead and about 10 million were directly affected by the quake that struck the County of Wenchuan.
Jean Fan was having trouble sleeping when she got a message from her father on her cell phone around 4 a.m. Monday.
"He just said he was safe. I didn't understand it," said the 26-year-old analyst who came to Toronto five years ago. Her parents live in the city of Chengdu, about 90 kilometres from the earthquake epicentre.
But when she got up a few hours later and heard about the quake, her father's message made sense, she said.
Fan's father, a doctor, has been working for free helping those injured in the disaster.
"My family is very sad. But my father has to be professional, to help the families," she said. It was a few days before the roads were open to the city and injured people could get treatment.
"I am very, very, sad," Fan said, tears welling in her eyes. "I came to pray for those people."
Li Zhengming, deputy consul general of the People's Republic of China, was overwhelmed by the turnout.
"There are so many people here to pay condolences to the people who died in the earthquake," an emotional Zhengming whispered.
He said he did not have any family or friends directly affected by the earthquake, but "all the people of China I feel are my family," he said.
With people spilling into the street, organizers asked for a moment of silence.

Anyone wishing to donate can do so online at www.redcross.ca or call their hotline at 1-800-418-1111.

(from TheStar.com)

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

法律申明|用户条约|隐私声明|小黑屋|手机版|联系我们|www.kwcg.ca

GMT-5, 2024-5-9 07:13 , Processed in 0.038452 second(s), 16 queries , Gzip On.